Saturday, February 16, 2008

For ‘EcoMoms,’ Saving Earth Begins at Home

I guess I'd say I've been an "Eco Mom" for a long time. I started carrying cloth bags to the grocery store a long time ago, to use instead of paper or plastic. My latest project is to compost as much of my trash as I can, to reduce what I send to the landfill. Additionally, I do not own a car, by choice. We ride the bus, our bicycles, or I have a motorcycle. For chores that absolutely need a car, I pay a friend for gas to take me. I don't have to make car payments, don't have to pay for insurance on a car with a loan, don't have to wash my car and waste water, and much more. I live in a car driven state, believe me, not a big city with lots of public transportation. I cannot say how much I love not having to worry about gas prices. The motorcycle gets 70 mpg, so that's cheap. I grow vegetables in a garden in summer and also in my house during the winter. I make it my goal to keep making more environmentally friendly choices as often as possible.

read more | digg story

No comments: