Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Excerpt: ‘What Shamu Taught Me About Life, Love ...’

When it comes to love and relationships, can people be trained just like animals? Author Amy Sutherland suggests that if exotic animals can be tamed, then perhaps those same training techniques can be used on your partner. In “What Shamu Taught Me About Life, Love, and Marriage: Lessons from Animals and Their Trainers,” Sutherland explainsexplains how positive reinforcement, not nagging, can help you have a stronger, better relationship: I wrote a column for The New York Times about how I had improved my marriage by thinking like an animal trainer. To my surprise, the whole world sat up and took notice. After being ignored by my friends, I was suddenly besieged with interview requests from around the globe My column shot to the top of the list of most e-mailed stories at the Times, where it remained for days, then weeks, and eventually became the most e-mailed story of 2006. When the dust settled, I had a movie deal and a contract to make my Times column into a book.

read more | digg story

No comments: